1 Miramontes Point Road, Half Moon Bay, California
“The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco”, Mark Twain supposedly said. This might help explain the roaring fireplace in the lobby or the outdoor fire pits meant for roasting marshmallows we saw – both in June! Perched on a cliff above the Pacific Ocean, spot dolphins dancing in the waves (or humpback whales, sea lions and otters, depending on the time of the year) at this stunning family-friendly resort.
- Baby cot
- Child menu
- Doctor on call
- Interconnecting rooms
- This kid-friendly hotel has a few special treats for their youngest guests. At check in, the host explains how kids can experience the property (kids activities are included in the resort fee) like biology education, ecology activities etc. Our children were told that each activity would earn them a wristband and 5 wristbands would get them a prize. They absolutely loved collecting their bands! At checkout, they exchanged their bands for a bag of gifts.
- The hotel offers families the chargeable Ritz Kids Day Programme (full or half day options) for children aged five to 12 and includes activities like tide pool exploring, art and craft, golf, movie time and more.
- The Kids Night Out programme ($110/child) on Friday and Saturday evening gives parents some much-needed time out. These nights include a special dinner, movies and arts and crafts.
- There are bikes for the whole family (included in the resort fee; bikes for 10 years old and above), Segway tours for the family on weekends (16 years+; $100/person) as well as self-led hikes, trip to the tide pools and more.
- Indoor heated pool to enjoy year round.
- Spacious family-friendly rooms with a private patio and outdoor fire pit.
- Roasting marshmallows (or s’mores for my American friends) on fire pits and a bagpiper at sunset make happy hour as enjoyable for the parents as for the kids!
- Miramontes beach is a 20-minute walk along the coastal trail and the Cowell Ranch Beach is a little further.
- Lush greens and unending paths for running, playing, scootering and general lolling.
- The Conservatory restaurant really lives up the farm to table concept – there are herbs being grown in the restaurant (we saw some being cut and used) as well as a wall mural showing the local farms they get their ingredients from.
- Golfers will revel in the fact that the resort is part of not one but two world-class golf courses. Cheer your dads as they finish their round – the 18th hole is right next to the outdoor lawn and fire pits.
- The Spa is top notch; their signature massage left me feeling like a new person!
- The wine bar has an amazing wine list – over 5000 bottles of over 3000 varieties!
- SFO Airport – 37 km
- 261 Rooms & suites
- 3 Restaurants
- 2 Bar
- Swimming pool
- Tennis courts
- Fitness Centre
- Golf Course
Mandy’s Tip: Snag a room with a private patio, outdoor fire pit and a homemade s’mores kit – never ending family fun! Also, the hotel is very animal friendly, in case you’re travelling with your furry loved ones and there are lots of dogs around who are very social.
Travelling mum Lisa Harris contributed parts of this review.