140 East Walton Place Chicago, Illinois
When you tell your kids that their fellow guests at this historic Chicago hotel include Winston Churchill, Eleanor Roosevelt, Ronald Reagan, Prince Charles, Princess Diana, Walt Disney, Frank Sinatra, Jawaharlal Nehru and Marilyn Monroe, their history lesson starts right there. Legendary afternoon teas, access to the beach, fantastic location and even little beds for your little girl’s doll! I’m definitely checking the Chicago family-friendly hotel box here.
- Baby cot
- Child menu
- Interconnecting rooms
- Babysitting services (hotel does not have its own babysitters but refers you to an external service that is reputed, licensed and bonded. Many of the hotel’s guests use this service)
- Hotel is right across the street from the Oak Street Beach
- Hotel does not have a swimming pool. Guests can, however, use the pool at the Equinox Club right across the street for $15 per person
- Spacious rooms with two queen beds or a king bed along with a sofa bed that will easily sleep a family
- Your little girls will be thrilled with the American Girl Place Package (current prices to be checked with hotel directly) which includes the following:
- Voucher for a Shirley Temple (Pink Lemonade) at Palm Court restaurant for your girl
- Cookies and milk at turndown for both your girl and her doll
- Doll bed for the doll
- Two full American breakfasts for parents
- Complimentary Internet
- Access to hotel’s library of American Girl books
- Overlooking Lake Michigan, this hotel enjoys a fantastic location and is close to many family-friendly attractions like Lincoln Park Zoo, John Hancock Centre, Navy Pier, Chicago Water Tower and more. It sits on the famous Magnificent Mile (Michigan Avenue), home to luxury retail stores, hotels, restaurants and other tourist attractions
- Watch your little girls squeal agh the sight of the flagship American Girl Place store which is a 5 minute walk from the hotel
- Don’t miss the famous Afternoon Tea (Princess Diana didn’t!) with the family at Palm Court, which has been around for almost a century. With a water fountain, live harpist (Wed-Sun) and the Little Prince and Princess Tea, complete with a kiddie cocktail, it’s a Chicago tradition you don’t want to miss
- The hotel’s new History Tour & Tea ($65 ++) which includes afternoon tea at Palm Court followed by a walking historical tour of the hotel, full of tales of the past.
- Start your retail therapy at the hotel itself, home to stores like Chanel, George Jensen and Van Cleef & Arpels.
- The Magnificent Mile that the hotel sits on will have you shop till you drop at the largest Ralph Lauren store in the world, Gucci, Prada, Rolex, Hugo Boss, Cartier and a whole lot more.
- Chicago OHare International Airport – 22 km
- 609 rooms & suites
- 4 restaurants
- 1 bar
- Fitness Centre
Mandy’s Tip: The hotel doesn’t have a doctor on call, but the renowned Northwestern hospital is only a few blocks away, should junior get into some mischief.