Jalan Teluk Datai, Langkawi, Malaysia
How often to you stay in a resort flanked by a 10 million-year-old rainforest on one side and the Andaman Sea on the other? First time in a resort that dedicates itself to conserving an 8000-year-old coral reef on its shores, badly damaged by the Tsunami? When was the last time you had a massage in the company of animals? Have the kids and you ever had a private snorkeling session in a coral nursery before? Junior ever worked in a lab as a marine biologist before? Welcome to the family-friendly Andaman.
- Baby cot
- Bottle sterilizer
- Bottle warmer
- Toilet potty seat
- Child men
- Doctor on call
- Interconnecting rooms
- Babysitting services (RM30 child/hr; after 11 pm RM50 child/hour)
- Child DVDs for rental
- The kids’ club – Young Explorer’s Club (10 am to 6 pm) – welcomes children from 4-12 years old. This kid-friendly facility is stocked with toys, games, puzzles and books, including an entire collection by my favourite author Enid Blyton. All activities here revolve around nature and exploration. These include butterfly hunts, bird watching, junior yoga, nature collages etc. Kids will love the slide, play house, little bikes and other elaborate play equipment. Do note that teens and the older lot looking for X Box, PlayStation and other gaming consoles might be disappointed – the kids’ club does not keep these.
- Coral Nursery
As a part of its coral conservation efforts, The Andaman has built a coral nursery to rescue and rehabilitate corals. Every morning (10:30 am-1 pm) enjoy a private guided snorkel of this nursery. Guests are fitted with a life jacket and float on the surface while being guided by a private guide. One of the most fascinating journeys that I have ever taken, you will witness many beautiful species of coral, varieties of fish including my children’s’ favourite clown fish (better known as Nemo) and more. Children are welcome to join in – my 3 year old loved it! The best part – its free!
- Fish feeding at the coral nursery daily (5:30 pm).
Marine Life Laboratory
This newly opened lab is home to a number of aquariums housing a variety of marine life. It is also equipped with microscopes, maggylamps and other equipment.
The lab encourages children to participate as ‘Young Marine Biologists’ by coral transplanting, aquarium and coral nursery keeping, understanding coral reef ecosystems, coral clearing, guided coral reef walks and other related activities. Certificates are given at the end of the programme.
The Young Marine Biologist’s Program cost RM150 per child inclusive of lunch and last from 10:00am to 6:00pm
This hotel is home to perhaps the best beach in Langkawi, if not Asia. Shallow, warm waters extend forever and the coral sand never gets too hot. Indulge in a variety of non-motorized water sports (so as not to damage the coral).
- Guided nature walks every morning and evening with resort naturalist to learn (and spot) the fascinating plant and animal life that surrounds the resort in this 10 million-year-old rainforest. Come face to face with drongos, great hornbills, dusky leaf monkeys, flying lemurs, macaques, geckos and over 300 species of butterflies.
- Family-friendly swimming pool with a fun slide and a wading section for toddlers.
- The super family-friendly ground-floor Executive Pool Suites come with a private plunge pool, cabana daybeds and a little sand pit too. Plus, a little door connects directly to the gorgeous beach!
- A variety of restaurants including Jala, with its unique sand floor, where you are only allowed in with your shoes off!
- Spa treatments for kids 6 and above (upon request) at the V Wellness Spa.
- SPG Kids pass for kids 4 to 12 years at RM80 per child per day. This includes all food & beverage from kids’ menu at all dining venues. Children up to 3 years eat complimentary.
- V Hair Salon.
- The stunning V Spa that sits atop a cliff, away from the main building. Soak in exquisite massages in open-air spa villas rooms, with some wildlife for company.
- Daddies will happily catch a round or two of golf at the very picturesque ELS Club adjacent to the hotel.
- Beachfront property
- Private beach
- Langkawi Airport – 27 km
- 178 Rooms & suites
- 4 Restaurants
- 2 Bars
- Swimming pool
- Hair Salon
Mandy’s Tip: Don’t miss the coral nursery snorkeling here (its complimentary!!!) – a true once in a lifetime experience.
Travelling to Langkawi? Check out our other fabulous family-friendly hotels here