Kahala Phata, Sam Road, Jaisalmer, Rajasthan
After a long drive from Jodhpur (the closest airport), we felt a royal twinge as we pulled up to a medieval-looking sandstone fort. A huge gateway with old canons on either side, drummer in the courtyard (the kids got to play too!) and a bevy of people to help us get settled – now we really felt like royalty! Evenings at the Suryagarh saw local families singing and dancing and the mornings were filled with music from a piper in the courtyard. This family-friendly, palatial hotel, smack in the middle of the desert outside Jaisalmer, was really a destination in itself!
- Baby cot
- High chair
- Child menu
- Doctor on call
- An incredible breakfast buffet with delicious western and Indian food. The food options, in general, were all top notch. The chef delivered on any special request we made!
- Two swimming pools including a kids’ pool. Pools are indoor and unheated, so wait for the hottest part of the day to jump in.
- Spacious rooms. Our kids were in the sitting room, which was separate from our bedroom, so the extra space was lovely.
- Very well kept hotel gardens with lots of space for kids to play around. The staff happily ran around with our kids.
- The hotel made an effort to cater to the kids, right from towel animals on our bed at check-in to kids’ food, treats, candies and playing with them.
- We opted for camel rides given by local tribesmen, but the hotel will arrange a custom camel trek with dinner and music under the stars, as well as other custom family-friendly experiences.
- A fantastic spa with a wide range of western and Ayurvedic treatments.
- A card and billiard room.
- In the middle of the desert, outside Jaisalmer. The closest airport is in Jodhpur and is about a 4-hour drive away.
- Jodhpur Airport – 303 km
- 72 Rooms
- 2 Restaurants
- 1 Bar
- Fitness Centre
Mandy’s Tip: Do note that Suryagarh remains shut in the month of June.
Visit the local fort, which is still inhabited and has a great community. The kids loved running through the alleys in the fort. On the way into Jaisalmer, we also visited the Indian Military Museum and it was very interesting seeing the airplanes and tanks up close.
Travelling mom Lisa Harris contributed parts of this review.