41/12 Moo 3, Khuk Khak Takuapa, Phang Nga
After several visits to Phuket, we decided to venture further out into Khao Lak. Be ready for the drive from Phuket airport – it was about 1.5 hours with no traffic for us. But worth the trek, for sitting pretty on the palm-fringed Khuk Khak Beach, this JW Marriott’s flagship property is a visual treat. Throw in swim-up rooms kids can dive straight out of, South-East Asia’s longest swimming pool, a lovely beach with calm waters and a great kids’ club – the kids are sorted! And now your holiday can begin….
- Baby cot
- High chair
- Child menu
- Doctor on call
- Interconnecting rooms
- Babysitting services (THB 300/child/hr)
- Beachfront hotel, so lots of fun in the sun! The water was calm and shallow, making it a great beach for little swimmers. Beach toys can be borrowed from the activity center. Water sports are available too.
- A divine pool, also the longest in South East Asia.
- Very good kids’ menus at all restaurants. The Waterfront Restaurant overlooked the Andaman Sea and had a very large spread for breakfast. The sushi restaurant had a great selection of teppanyaki and sushi.
- An elaborate kids’ club comes with toys, crafts, games, computers, gaming consoles and movies. A rather colourful soft play area with a ball pool and slide for the younger lot. Many supervised activities are organized for kids daily. For teens (13-18), there is a completely different set of age-appropriate activities.
- Spacious rooms, each with a private balcony or terrace. Do check the balcony- ours had some dry rot and when we pushed on the railing, it started to give way. Since we were travelling with kids, the hotel changed our room.
- If bed to pool is your thing, this hotel has swim-up rooms the kids will love.
- Child DVDs for rental.
- A top-notch hotel spa.
- A variety of activities including group fitness programmes, Thai boxing, private bike tours and diving.
- Beachfront resort
- Phuket Airport – 80 km
- 293 Rooms & suites
- 5 Restaurants
- 3 Bars
- 2 Pools
- Tennis Courts
- Squash Court
- Fitness Centre
Mandy’s Tip: Khao Lak is a sleepy tourist town and we loved the slow pace. There wasn’t much fine dining outside the resort, although the seafood restaurants just outside the resort were great. Khao Lak is for scuba diving- the Andaman Islands have some of the best dive sites in Thailand.
Travelling mom Lisa Harris contributed parts of this review.