Via del Babuino 9 Rome 00187 Italy
How often does a famous French poet describe a hotel as “paradise on earth”? Almost never, except when the poet is Jean Cocteau and the hotel is De Russie. For the record, I agree with Jean.
With a location like that (adjoining Piazza del Popolo and minutes from the Spanish Steps), its Secret Garden, an unending list of amenities and activities for children and an indoor salt-water pool, this family-friendly hotel in Rome very easily becomes paradise for kids too. And explaining to your little ones who Picasso was becomes a lot easier when he had once stayed at the same hotel as them….
- Baby cot
- Cot bumpers
- Bottle sterilizer
- Bottle warmer
- Baby bathtub
- Glow lamp
- Motion mobile
- Child menu
- Child bibs
- Child toiletries
- Doctor on call
- Interconnecting rooms
- Babysitting services (€25 per child/hour and €30 for two children/hour)
- Complimentary bath time accessories for your wee ones, including a temperature tester, rubber ducks, hooded towels, anti-slip bath mats and more.
- Travelling with a baby? De Russie provides complete nappy changing facilities including nappies, nappy cream, wet wipes, nappy changing mats, as well as glow and night-lights.
- All meals for babies are complimentary
- The kids adored their Froggy Teddy Turndown Service (Gian Lorenzo the Froggy is the hotel’s mascot for children). A frog is placed on their pillows and homemade cookies and milk are left by their bedside as they get ready to call it a night on their themed froggie bed linen. De Russie goes the extra mile with writing each child’s name on their milk cup.
- Beautiful frog-shaped umbrellas hiding in the rooms for kids for those rainy Rome days.
- Gaming consoles like Wii, X-box 360, PlayStation 2 as well as content protected Wi-Fi are available in the rooms on request.
- Upon check-in, kids are presented with their own check-in and comment cards, colouring books, a factsheet highlighting unique activities for kids around Rome and the very special Families R Forte passport which gives kids a chance to win free stays at hotels.
- Staying in a suite? Watch them squeal with joy at surprise gift bags from some of the most famous boutiques for kids in Rome like Miss Grant and KidSpace.
- 50% discount on all kids’ meals from the kids’ menu.
- Every night of their stay, children are delighted with a gift placed in their rooms. These range from storybooks, shoelaces, customized t-shirts and a whole lot more.
- Magazines and newspapers for teens upon arrival and welcome mocktails upon request.
- The hotel has designed many kid-friendly tours for families, keeping children in mind. With a private guide in different languages, these tours are priced at €75/hour for a minimum of three hours.
- The hotel can organize many family-friendly fun activities for your kids and you. I have chatted with the concierges here – believe me, they can pretty much put together anything you want to experience. If your child wants to go all over Rome in a golf cart, consider it done!
Some examples of activities they can organize are:
- Gladiator School
- ‘Five Senses’ where families can spend a day in a Roman countryside farm and partake in many farm activities.
- Mosaic School for Kids
- Rome Kids Tour
- Fresco Painting School for Kids
- Gelato Maker For A Day
- Pizza Making Class
- Treasure Hunt at St. Angel Castle
- The spa offers many teen-friendly treatments and packages.
- Children 12 and over can enjoy the indoor salt-water hydro pool.
- Secret Garden! No where else will you find terraced gardens, full of palms and white roses in the heart of Rome. The Secret Garden, designed by the great architect Giuseppe Valadier, is the favourite spot of children visiting the hotel to run around or play a game of hide and seek.
- In partnership with Mercedes Benz, the hotel offers smart ebikes for hire. Join a 2-hour electric bike morning tour of the Eternal City (chargeable).
- Sprint through Rome, unlocking its many secrets with World Triathlon Champion Danilo Palmucci on an ‘Art Run’ organized by De Russie (chargeable).
- Retail therapy at its very best! De Russie is steps from some of the best shopping streets and stores in Rome.
- The hotel houses one of the best spas in the city, featuring a salt-water hydro pool, Finnish sauna, steam room, beauty salon, treatment rooms and a state-of-the-art gym.
- In the warm summer evenings, Stravinskij Bar is the place to be seen with a drink in Rome – the vibe is unmatched anywhere else in the city.
- Savor seasonal menus by celebrated chefs, enjoyed alfresco in the Secret Garden at Le Jardin de Russie during the warmer months.
- Located smack in the heart of Rome, between the Spanish Steps and Piazza del Popolo. The hotel is within easy walking distance of Rome’s key attractions, famed fashion houses and world famous shopping.
- Leonardo Da Vinci International Airport – 32 km.
- 122 rooms & suites
- 1 restaurant
- 1 bar
- Indoor pool
- Beauty salon
Mandy’s Tip: If you happen to visit around Christmas time, look into the hotel’s courtyard for their Christmas tree. Last year, fashion giant Fendi had displayed a beautifully lit 5 metre tall tree, made of 350 gold and silver Baguette bags!
Travelling to Italy? Check out our other fabulous kid-friendly hotels here