Crescent Road, The Palm,Dubai, United Arab Emirates
When $1.5 billion is spent developing a resort and Kylie Minogue comes to launch it amidst fireworks that can be seen from space, you know it’s going to be special – for everyone! From underwater rooms, a gigantic aquarium to a waterpark (yes – all in a desert), this family-friendly resort is a stomping ground for your tots in a city known for its excesses. Believe me, as accompanying parents, we weren’t left very far behind either.
- Baby cot
- Baby bathtub
- Bottle sterilizer
- Bottle warmer
- Child toiletries
- Child bathrobe and slippers
- Child menu
- Doctor on call
- Interconnecting rooms
- Babysitting services (AED 75/hr for 1 child; extra child is additional AED 25/child/hr; additional charges after midnight; 1 nanny for a maximum of 3 children over 3 years of age; 1 nanny for a maximum of 1 child under 1 year of age; minimum 3 hours of service)
Mandy’s Tip: Atlantis is one of the few hotels that also offers an off-resort nanny service for guests staying at the hotel who require a nanny to accompany them outside the resort. Starting at AED 100/child/hr, do definitely enquire about this handy service.
- The Atlantis Kids’ Club (9 am-9 pm) caters to children from 3-12 years. Adventures abound in The Little Pirate’s Playground where kids can run amok in the indoor soft play area or outdoors on the ship that comes with climbing ropes, climbing walls, tunnels and slides. They can watch a movie or better yet, watch fascinating creatures, live under the sea at the underwater theatre.
The command centre gives them access to all the digital trappings like Xbox 360, Wii, Nintendo and PlayStation 3 as well as an army 15 Apple Macs with internet connectivity.
A host of fun activities like art and craft, bowling, tug of wars, dance parties, wheelbarrow relays, handball and visits to the fish hospital have your little ones spoilt for choice. Charges apply to use of the kids’ club. You can also opt for a 3 day, 5 day or 10 day kids’ club pass.Note: One complimentary Afternoon Adventures session per child per stay.
Imperial Club benefits include complimentary Full Day Adventure during each day of their stay.With a minimum one-week notice, the kids’ club can organize a complete birthday party (themed or otherwise) for your child, where they provide everything from the invites, cake and food to party favors and even photographers.
The temple for teens – Club Rush (2 pm-12 am) – assures that for once, your awkward teenager will have more fun that any one else. Your 13 to 18 year olds can ‘hang out’ over a mocktail at the Sugar Rush Bar, catch a movie on the big screen or simply kick back and relax with new friends at the Chill Out Lounge. They can shuttle between the Game Zone and Internet Café for access to Xbox 360, Wii, PlayStation 3 and Apple Macs with internet. And if that is not enough, they can shake a leg or two on the dance floor at the Entertainment Lounge.
Club Rush is a fully supervised space and activities on offer include karaoke, eating competitions, mocktail mixing, dodge ball, beach football and a whole load more. Charges apply to the use of Club Rush.
Note: One complimentary Early Rush session per child per stay.
Imperial Club benefits include a complimentary Early Rush session during each day of their stay.
Club Rush too can organize complete birthday parties for your teens.
- There are waterparks and then there is Aquaventure. Bring over 18 million litres of water into a desert and you will have nothing less than the world’s largest water slide or the world’s first dual waterslide within a waterslide.
There are 9 storey tall slides that plunge you into an acrylic tube surrounded by sharks, the longest zip-line in The Middle East, a 2.3 km long lazy river with surprises all along the way or a wave pool that will have you believing that you were caught in a storm at sea. There are a number of zero-entry pools, perfect for families with little children. And soak in some warm Arabian sun while your little ones build sandcastles at the private beach.For its tiniest visitors (less than 1.2 metres) there is Splashers, a rather elaborate playground featuring 10 water slides, 5 rope bridges, water jets, two gigantic buckets that douse the little ones with 1200 litres of water at regular intervals and a number of climbing frames. Parents can keep an eye on their little ones from the comfort of their sun loungers placed right around the play area or simply join in the fun.Watch your little (and not so little) ones squeal with delight as they get up, close and personal with dolphins in the waters of Dolphin Bay, hand feed the very friendly Cownose Rays, walk underwater with the sharks at Shark Lagoon and cozy up with sea lions at Sea Lion Point. Have these curious minds pick up little nuggets of information during orientation from the marine animal specialists before these encounters.
- Watch the squealing continue inside The Lost Chambers Aquarium. Amongst the over 65000 marine animals on display, be sure your tinies sight the sharks, red bellied piranhas, Moray Eels, sea horses, rays and lionfish. Marine educators are easily spotted to answer any questions your children may have and there are also free guided tours of the aquarium that are held every hour. Touch tanks, touch screens and other interactive features can be found throughout the aquarium.
The feeding sessions are particularly fun for the little bunch. A Behind The Scenes Tour is also available throughout the day and includes a visit to the fish hospital and nursery.
Aquarium dives (for certified and non certified divers) and snorkels are also available.
- The hotel has a child-friendly pool. The Royal Pool is yet another pool to splash around in.
- The Royal Beach is another family-friendly venue to unwind.
- Head down with your kids to The Zone, an amusement arcade featuring state-of-the-art SEGA games, simulators and equipment.
- Between the 23 restaurants that call The Atlantis home, you can be rest assured that even your pickiest eater will be spoilt for choice. The little bunch will particularly love The Burger Joint that rustles up delicious burgers, fries and milkshakes or the pastries and croissants at Café Poseidon where they look right at the fascinating marine life in the Ambassador Lagoon. Every palette will find something at the extensive buffets at family-friendly Kaleidoscope Restaurant. For sumptuous pizzas cooked in a central stone oven, head over to Ronda Locatelli, an Italian eatery by Michelin star chef Giorgio Locatelli. Those looking for their sushi fix will be more than pleased with the internationally renowned Nobu (age restriction at dinner time; kids must be 10 years or older).
- Want the kids to think they are living under the sea? Families who want to indulge may want to consider the breathtakingly beautiful underwater suites that boast floor to ceiling windows that look straight into The Lost Chambers Aquarium, along with the 65000 marine inhabitants that call it home.
- Families looking to live it large can opt for helicopter tours of the city organized by The Atlantis or even helicopter pick ups and drop offs to the hotel. Boat cruises on one of the hotel’s many yachts or boats are available too.
- Mommies and daddies can indulge in some retail therapy – true Dubai style – at The Avenues, the retail promenade at the resort that boasts of upmarket brands like Chopard, Tiffany & Co, Porsche Design, Bateel and Patchi. If your brood is with you, drop in for an ice cream at Cold Stone Creamery and it’s a win-win for all!
- Later at night, parents can let their hair down at N’Dulge, an adults only nightclub that features a dance club, lounge and outdoor terrace.
- Nasimi Beach, yet another adult only zone (minimum age is 21 years) offers day beds, private cabanas and varied culinary delights. As day turns into night, settle down for some celebrity sightings.
- Located at The Palm, a man-made island
- Private beach
- Dubai International Airport – 35 km
- 1539 rooms & suites
- 23 restaurants and bars
- 2 swimming pools
- Spa and fitness centre
- Aquaventure Waterpark
- 3 tennis courts
- Beach club
Mandy’s Tip: Guests staying at The Atlantis have unlimited complimentary access to Aquaventure Waterpark and The Lost Chambers Aquarium, so make the most of it!